Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Address Switch (XP / IE 6)

I got a call from a friend that has a new problem connecting to his yahoo email. I had set him up with a link that went directly to the Yahoo email login page. However, all of a sudden the link takes him to SBCYahoo! I had him type www.yahoo.com directly into the address bar, and he ends up at www.sbcyahoo.com. I tried the same on my computer (we are on the same cable network) and I end up a yahoo, not sbcyahoo.

Somehow, his computer now converts any yahoo addresses to sbcyahoo. I fail to understand how this happens, but I'm begining to suspect a virus or some other mischievous change to his software. Any suggestions on what causes this problem and how to fix it?

Thanks

Re: Address Switch (XP / IE 6)

Could be a Hijack issue - see this Starpost...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check out http://sbc.yahoo.com/ and you will learn more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

As best as I can figure it looks like Yahoo has switched some or all of its "free" email customers over to SBCYahoo. After finally getting to use Remote Assistance with my friend I found out that he could go to yahoo.com allright, and from there to Yahoo mail. However, after logging in to his email account the heading read SBCYahoo in letters so large that they completely filled the text area of the IE screen. I got him to go to View and change the text size to "smallest" and the display returned to normal size with his usual yahoo email type of window. So something definitely changed with the conversion to SBCYahoo. I can't imagine but what a whole lot of former yahoo mail users are having a real mess of a time coping with this new gimmick.

There is an announcement on one of the pages regarding the "new" DSL service called SBCYahoo. The announcement says nothing about any other (cable) high bandwidth connections (of course, they are touting their DSL service). I couldn't find any reference to them switching other (non-DSL) customer's email accounts to SBCYahoo.

Frankly, having dealt (admittedly just once) with a SBC DSL connection, I'm very unimpressed with the service. I'll take my faithful cable connection any day.