3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Checkboxes (Word 2002)

One of our users came to me with a question. He would like to create a form with checkboxes on the left and hyperlinks on the right. The items where the checkbox is checked would have the hyperlink to the document referred to. The form needs to be protected to have the checkboxes work, but then you can't enter the hyperlink on the right side of the page. Currently he has the form information in a table, but he doesn't care if it is a table or columns or whatever, just so it is easy for people to use the form.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Checkboxes (Word 2002)

In theory, with columns, you could have a protected (continuous-break) section in the left column and an unprotected section in the right column. It might be tricky to sync this up while authoring the document, but compared with a table, which is hopeless, it might be the best way to go. Based on a demo I saw, Word 2003 vastly improves on the granularity of protection for forms. But I haven't tried it myself, and it probably is not practical to upgrade an entire organization for just one feature.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can have a hyperlink in a protected form. I got this from a KB article or the [=http://word.mvps.org/]Word MVP[/url] site, but I forgot to write down where.

Hyperlinks inserted directly into a document protected as a form are unavailable to the user. They will work if they are inserted into an unprotected section. In a protected section they can be placed in a MacroButton field as the display text, and one macro can be used to follow all hyperlinks. Note that the hyperlink will be treated like plain text (the mouse pointer shape will not change to a hand over the link).

Syntax for the MacroButton field:

{ MACROBUTTON FollowHLink "http://www.TheHyperlink" }
    VBA Code to follow the hyperlink:
    Sub FollowHLink()
    Selection.Hyperlinks(1).Follow
    End Sub

Hope this helps,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you mean this one: Using hyperlinks in protected forms.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. That is one of the locations I got information. I think there was another source also, but I can't find it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans and Phil.

I'll forward the information to our staff member with the request. I don't know if he will want to use macro buttons, but that will be his decision.

I think I own Phil part of my paycheck for the many times he has saved me work, both from information here and from DailyWordTips. Thank you much.