New Lounger

Problem with sending and receiving email (Outlook 2002)

Hi all... I have been using Outlook 2002 for some time and had configured an email account from my website (POP3) to download into Outlook with no problem. At that time I was using a Dial Up ISP.

I have now moved to AOL 9.0 Broadband and now cannot configure Outlook to send and receive email. If you try and test the settings it says "Establish Network Connection: Unable to connect to the Internet or Network....." It then recommends that I check the Connections Tab under More Settings. I have tested all options but still cannot get it to work.

Can anyone help ????????

Super Moderator
    Renton, Washington, USA

Re: Problem with sending and receiving email (Outlook 2002)

Are your settings similar the the attached?
    But the receive should have the correct ISP ID instead of comcast and the out going should have your broadband ISP ID.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Problem with sending and receiving email (Outlook 2002)

AOL probably has a support page on this. The general idea is that you should be able to retrieve e-mail from any POP3 server, but that you almost never can send e-mail through any server except the one owned by the ISP you're currently connected through. This is an anti-spam measure.

There are some exceptions, most notably, some ISPs let you retrieve mail through other ISPs only using a "secure" connection, and they'll let you send mail through their server regardless of your current connection if you authenticate yourself using your password and username. AT&T Worldnet, for example, offers these options.

Enough theory and generalization: you need to know from both of your accounts how they handle this situation. Hopefully they've posted the instructions for Outlook Express (they seldom do it for Outlook); the steps are almost exactly the same.