New Lounger
    Thanks

Pictures previously viewed with picture and fax (2000)

I am using Windows XP and Outlook 2000. I am able to view attached pictures with Windows picture and fax viewer, but there are some old pictures that seem to be "stuck" in memory. I can scroll through the attached pictures in the message, then I will come to pictures that I viewed a long time ago in messages that I have deleted, but they are still there. When I search for the files on the hard drive, i cannot locate them. I am starting to accumulate over ten "old" pictures, which is getting annoying.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Re: Pictures previously viewed with picture and fax (2000)

When you access an attachment, Outlook writes the file out to a temp folder (or one of several temp folders) under your Temporary Internet Files folder. These do not automatically clear themselves out (mine has 210 files in it dating back to even before I set up this computer, I guess because the dates are the actual file dates??), and I don't know if using Internet Explorer's option to clear out your Temporary Internet Files will reach down into Outlook's folder (I just never do that). So I suspect that the picture viewer is picking up pictures that are in the "cache."

You should be able to access your OLK_____ folder(s) from the command prompt.

Start button > Run... > cmd {ENTER}

Once you are in your cocuments and Settingsusername folder, then:

cd local settings
    cd temporary internet files
    dir /ad

This should give you one or more OLK folders. You then can change (cd) into each folder and kill the picture files using:

del *.jpg
    del *.gif

and so forth. Unless you edit pictures from inside an e-mail, you shouldn't lose anything by doing this because they're just plain duplicates of your message attachments. However, if you opened an attachment directly into an editor and changed it, you might want to back that up before clearing out the rest.

Does this make sense?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pictures previously viewed with picture and fax (2000)

That did the trick, thanks allot.

Sorry it took so long to reply.