Silver Lounger
    Thanks

IE 'sticking' at the end of a page download ([W98SE IE6sp1])

I am just about ready to give up on this old Win98 box -- this last problem is driving me nuts! Win98SE, IE6, ZAF, high-speed cable connection. Been using the box forever with no problems. Kids use it too and install various kid's game -- which frequently mucks with the system, but in this case I don't clearly know that was responsible.

About a week ago IE started to 'stick' right as a web page is finishing being downloaded. You know, the progress meter in the status bar shows the blue at 100%, but the meter is still displayed. It is just ready to release control back to you, but not quite. Then everything freezes. The mouse pointer is stuck, ZA shows no activity, the hard disk is not spinning. Everything is in limbo for a few moments -- probably no more than 10-15 seconds -- but that seems like an hour when you are surfing.

I got rid of offending 'running processes' at startup, I repaired IE, heck -- I even went back to IE5 and then upgraded to IE6sp1 with the newest Cumulative Update! I turned off ZA -- but no avail. Email programs access the Internet and seem to have no issues -- just HTTP seems to be affected.

Worse yet, it does not happen on every page load -- just about 80% of the time! And it is not specific for certain pages -- I can Refresh the same page multiple times and it does not always stick, but it will most of the time! Nice, eh?

Ctrl-Alt-Delete will show IE and sometimes ZA or other programs (such as printer controls) as "(Not responding)". Even if I do nothing, the problem will clear itself after 10 or maybe 20 seconds at the most -- so it is temporarily not responding, but then it does! When it comes back I hear little spurts of hard drive activity, and then BAM control is restored. No other programs are afflicted with this -- I can use Word, Excel, Money, you name it with no slow down or glitches.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: IE 'sticking' at the end of a page download ([W98SE IE6sp1])

Was it you who mentioned in another thread that you had set a minimal TIF space?
    I'd suspect something clogged up there, perhaps a Defrag or ScanDisk might clear out the old arteries....