New Lounger
    Thanks

Emailing through Access using Mozilla (2000/SP-3)

Our system uses with Mozilla 1.5 through Netscape as the email client. I need to send out email alerts from my Access program. I've gotten conflicting information on whether SendObject works with Netscape/Mozilla. I tried SendObject, but when I set the "editmessage" argument to FALSE, the code passes over the statement without creating an error and without sending an email. Changing "editmessage" to TRUE brings up the email composition window, but without the "To:" field completed.

I saw a MS Knowledge Base article that looked relevant, #260819, but their workarounds didn't apply. Is it possible to use SendObject with Mozilla/Netscape? If not, how else can I email from Access without changing the mail client?

Thanks in advance!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emailing through Access using Mozilla (2000/SP-3)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Perhaps the code in this newsgroup post will work.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.

I have seen that post, but it didn't work for me either. I got an error on the first line--Set objSession = CreateObject("MSMAPI.MAPISession")
    Are there any references or dlls I need to install? We'll be rolling out this application of several user's machines, so less configuration of their installations, the better!

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'll ask one of the other moderators, who knows more about this kind of thing, to look at it (I don't use Mozilla/Netscape myself)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not familiar with Access, BUT I know that:
    1. Open the VBE (Alt+F11) & go to Tools/References/Microsoft Outlook #.# Object library & make sure it's checked.
    2. In Netscape, Edit/Preferences/Mail & Newsgroups.../Use Netscape from MAPI-based applications should be checked.
    Hope this helps,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emailing through Access using Mozilla (2000/SP

I don't know whether the posts mentioned in <!post=357764,this post>357764<!/post> could also help. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

In my version of Mozilla (1.6), there is no option under Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups about using Netscape from MAPI-based apps. In fact, I don't see anything about MAPI there or in the Mail & Newsgroup Account settings either....

karen

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emailing through Access using Mozilla (2000/SP

Hmmm, did post 357764 dematerialize? Clicking on it returns an internal server error and a search only yields your post! Do you remember the gist of its contents?

Thanks,
    karen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karen:
    Sorry. I'm still using an old Netscape version (4.75) for email. I checked & couldn't find it under Mozilla either. I looked all over the Mozilla web page for MAPI, & while there were numerous mentions of it during the development, I couldn't find the conclusion. I gathered that it was built-in, but can't be sure. Are you able to send a document as an attachment from Word (File menu)? i.e. does it fire up Mozilla?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Yes, in Word, going to File --> Send to --> Mail recipient (as an attachment) DOES fire up Mozilla and attaches the document to the message. But still running into the same problems with SendObject not sending anything!
    karen

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Problem solved. For all those who are looking to this thread with the same problem, I was able to successfully email using CDO. You'll need to add the reference to "Microsoft CDO for Exchange 2000 Library." The sample code in http://dbforums.com/arch/84/2003/2/694461 helped get me started. Thanks for all who provided input!