3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

advantages of 2002 file format (XP SP2)

Looking at Access help, the following reasons are listed for converting from 2000 to 2002 file format:-

1. Provision for unknown properties and objects that might exist in future versions of Access
    2. Ability to save an Access file as an MDE or ADE while in Access 2002
    3. Improved storage format

Does anyone know anything more about the rather vague 3rd point? Are there any significant performance or size advantages?

Are there any other good reasons for converting?

Thanks,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: advantages of 2002 file format (XP SP2)

In all honesty, all of those a significant reaches. Any performance advantages you get are imperceptible, as the same database engine (Jet) is used for both formats. And 2002 databases do bloat significantly worse than 2000 - largely because of a new system level table MsysAccessStorage that was added in 2002. The ability to create an MDE in 2002 for a 2000 format database was something that could have been added, but was not. Supposedly, the 2002 format is less prone to corruption, but well designed applications don't usually have that much trouble. IMHO, usless you are using some specific feature that is only available in 2002 (pivot tables for example), my advice would be to stick with 2000, even if you have 2002 installed (which I do).
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I think I will probably stick with 2000 format for the time being. However, I didn't realise PivotTables had been built into Access 2002, that is interesting as I do intend to use them but I was intending to place them in Excel. I will look into that further and if it proves to be more practical to use PivotTables in Access rather than Excel I might end up converting.
    Thanks again,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You don't really have to convert to 2002 format to use pivot tables - just split your database (recommended 99.9% of the time), and leave the back-end in 2000, but convert the front-end to 2002. In fact now that I think about it, you may be able to work with pivot tables in a monolithic (unsplit) database in 2000 format - I rather doubt that feature is dependent on the 2002 format, but some testing would be in order.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As long as you run Access 2002, you can create/use pivot tables in an Access 2000 format database.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, that makes sense. Thanks to both of you for your replies.