New Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP Fax Problem (Win XP MCE SP1)

Had been using MS Fax that comes with WinXP for some time but due to a seige of "Junk Faxes" I unchecked the "Enable Receive" box.
    Then, I wanted to receive a Fax which I knew was coming, so I rechecked the "Enable Receive" box.
    However, MS Fax will not answer the incoming call. Tried Manual Answer with no luck.
    My internet connection as well as downloads, through the same modem, work just fine.
    I can SEND faxes, but not RECEIVE.
    Is there a setting in (say) Services that might disable Fax Receipt? I have the MS WinXP & Norton Internet Security Firewalls enabled. However I tried disabling both but it didn't help.
    Tried Uninstalling Fax, Rebooting, Reinstalling & Resetup without it helping.
    I have a 2-Line Phone so I can call from Line #2 (My Home Phone) to Line #1 (My Internet/Fax Line), it rings but I get a Failed Fax message.
    Device Manager>Ports (COM & LPT1) shows only LPT1 not COM 3 although Modem Properties say COM 3.
    Sys Ref: Sony VAIO, 3 GHz P4, WinXP Media Center Edition/SP1, 512 MB RAM, Agere 56k v.92 modem, 50 GB free.
    Help, Larry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXP Fax Problem (Win XP MCE SP1)

When the incoming fax is ringing your line, do you hear the modem answer and perform a handshake (the chattering noises)? Does the computer answer the line at all, or does it just ring and ring and ring and.....?
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXP Fax Problem (Win XP MCE SP1)

No. But the problem was solved by adding a UseTelephony registry key per MS KB Article 828072.

Thanks for your time,
    Larry