2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

svchost.exe error (XP)

I had a problem with my registry and had to have XP Pro completely reloaded. I have been reloading all of my applications the last few days, including Norton 2004 AntiVirus. I am now getting the following error on shutdown:
    Svchost.exe - Application error

The instruction at "...." referenced memory at ".....". The memory cannot be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on Cancel to debug the program.

I tried running the MS Blaster removal tool and have not had any luck. Can anyone please help??? I don't want to have to go thru this entire process again.

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: svchost.exe error (XP)

svchost.exe is sort of a generic container in which will runs a particular windows process. At any given time, half a dozen of these svchost.exe processes will appear on your Processes list in Task Manager. Windows does not make it easy to determine what they are. There have been posts about some tools that provide better process list information, but my memory cells have not retained the details. Anyway, what I suggest is trying to match up the process IDs (PIDs) with the actual DLLs they run, and see which ones you can shut down manually. Hopefully this will narrow down the number running at the time Windows croaks, making it easier to figure out what's going on. (Or maybe this is hopeless, but I can't think of any other way to find out which DLL is the problem.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have kept searching the internet and MS's website. I can't find anything to help. I have even run additional virus scans. The error message ALWAYS refers to referenced memory 0x00000019,

Thanks

Kathy,

Please check that post number. Seems to be one digit too long. Can't get to it using "view post number".
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by StuartR to correct post number and make it clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

I thought this was familiar.......I had this problem back in 2002, but I don't remember how we fixed it. See <post#=107662>post 107662</post#>