3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

unnamed service (XP SP1a)

I have a startup item listed without a name in the list accessed using msconfig, and would appreciate any advice on what it might be,a nd whether it is dispensible. Have been trying to figure out what might be causing problems with Drive Image 7, with help from a Symantec tech who has been working closely with me - no complaints there! There is something in either services or startup causing the problem, and I am working my way through the items to try to detect the culprit.
    I recall that there are other startup items not accessed by msconfig, and will hunt them down. Could someone remind me how to access them please?
    The other possibility is that the OS control of .NET Framework is at fault- any ideas on what could corrupt or interfere with that?
    Many thanks in advance of your collective wisdom!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: unnamed service (XP SP1a)

Firstly, let us identify the problem. It is a problem with DriveImage 7, you stated. Exactly what is the nature of said problem? Your post did not say.

Secondly, why is it that you feel that 'something in either services or startup' is causing the problem? What are the symptoms? Until the problem is defined, searching for a solution is not going to bear fruit. You cannot solve a problem that is unidentified.

Instead of using MSCONFIG, try looking at the Services applet. To access it, click Start - Run and enter services.msc in the box, and then press enter. At the top of the Services applet, click on the column title Status to sort the entries by their running state. Look closely at the entries marked as Running and post back with any that you suspect are not supposed to be there. Again, please let us know exactly what problem you are trying to solve, so that efforts to solve it can be directed in the proper direction.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I resisted the temptation to go into the details of the DI problem, as I felt it belongs in other sections of the Lounge, and I have been working through a process of elimination with Symantec.
    In brief, DI was working fine until recently, then for no apparent reason I started to receive an unhandled exception error ( "Unable to display
    wizard- overflow or underflow in the arithmetic operation" and then "unhandled exception" , and DI quits before I can make a backup. Have sent a complete report to Symantec, and have been advised to install a fresh download of .Net Framework, upgrade DI progressively to version 7.03, and then we found that removing the checkmark from Load startup items, hiding all MS services, and unchacking all but Gear security and V2i Protector (via msconfig) allows DI to work normally.
    Have also looked at the complete list of services via services.msc and there is nothing there untoward. All are recognised MS services, and only those required are on manual or automatic (have used BlackViper's suggestions).
    Full scan with NAV, AdAware and SpyBot showed no lurking nasties.
    Even tried an upgrade install of Windows in case a corruption was interfering with DI and/or .Net Framework.
    All of the above seems to suggest something loading in startup or services is the problem- or is it?
    I have since installed and use successfully BootIt Image for Windows since all this began (with DI uninstalled), but would like to resolve this issue with DI. Can't abide unsolved problems!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is what I was looking for-thanks.
    I'll do some digging and see what might be hidden away.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dianne

For a list of the startup locations and keys, see if you can access the article Windows Program Startup Locations : Learn how Windows controls autorun programs, by Michael Otey. You may need to sign on to the site...

Edited later - to remove first paragraph, where I had misunderstood what is produced by MSCONFIG!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could also try Startup Cop from PC Mag - you'll have to hunt around for it now because they charge for their download services (a rip-off but we won't go into how the once great PC Mag has gone so far downhill) - anyway - the program was free before - it will list your startup programs using the Program name (as opposed to the file name) - that may give you a clue. It also allows you to temporarily disable.

In checking out your problem with my machine, I found two blank entries in MSCONFIG - Startup Cop reported them to be CTstartup and JetDetect - A google of CTstartup pointed to Creative - my OLD sound card - and JetDetect I recognized as my old HP Jet Detect print server - neither one needed - both now gone - system working fine.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One of the first things I do when troubleshooting a software problem is to remove the offending application and then reinstall it. Many times, this will correct flaky problems that have developed for one reason or another. I strongly recommend that you give this a try, and see if it gets you a working DriveImage installation. I still am not certain as to why you suspect a service or startup item other than perhaps Symantec suggesting that this may be the case. I feel it would be better to look at the "whole picture" instead of making assumptions based on unknown factors.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DI has been uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times. The suggestion re service or startup items being the problem arises from the fact that when all services other than the 2 needed for DI function, and all startup items are disabled, DI works normally. When the startup and service items are re-enabled, DI won't work. No new software had been installed or services enabled before DI went belly-up.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Cheers
    Dianne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If that's the case, disable everything and then enable them one at a time, rebooting after each, until the failure occurs again. Painfully slow, but it will definitely root out the problem. This is what is known as starting with a "clean boot." To save some time, you could enable things in small groups of two or three items at a time, and then narrow it down from there once the problem recurs.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tedious, but as you say, the only way. The odd thing is that other than the possiblity of a MS update/hotfix (can't recall whether I had installed one before the death of DI) and antivirus updates, nothing had been knowingly changed.
    A long night ahead.....
    Dianne