3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

formatting Win98SE

While I've done this before with a Dell Dimension T-450 machine, I'm stymied by the newer Dell Gx110. Can someone give
    me the "string" of actions so I don't create more problems than I have already. It used to be put the floppy and CD in the drive,
    then when it comes back in MsDos, type in C:/ setup..........now, I get a bios type blue screen that works some other way. Appreciate any help I can scrape up, and thanks in advance.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: formatting Win98SE

Make sure that the floppy is bootable, with CD-ROM access. This can be created from a multitude of sources, Windows 98 among them.

More importantly, can you provide some background on exactly what it is that you want to accomplish? Running setup and formatting the disk are two different things.

A final thought: what does the blue screen say and why do you believe it is the BIOS?
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

<hr> I get a bios type blue screen<hr>

I'm with Mark,,,what do ya mean by the above,,,and if your doing a clean install, did you set your boot sequence? and did you use FDISK?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's what happened when I put the floppy and CD in the drive and restarted the computer. A kind of blue-green screen came up with all the information on the machine. I was expecting a black screen with some kind of flashing curser. Rather than poke around without knowing what to do, I wrote to you guys. What I'm trying to accomplish is to wipe this machine clean of all the network stuff that was in it when I bought it........USED. I'm a dummy when it comes to Dos and other basics because I bought computers at the Windows 95 stage, and never had to deal with that. What I need is a tutorial that you would provide to a child, or a beginner....."click this, type this, wait for this, etc.,et c. I know how to reload all the stuff and have all the CDs, but
    can't get to the formatted part. Hope this clears things up?

Banned Member
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the quick response from people who know what they're talking about!