New Lounger
    Thanks

Embedding Word and Excel in an Access db (Access 2002)

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I am creating an Access application that can store embedded documents. I have a table with an OLE object field, and a form based on this table containing a bound OLE control. All I am doing to embed the docs is this - open the form, go to a new record, click in the OLE control then from the menus - Insert --> Object --> Create New --> then select the doc type from the list.

I can store certain embedded documents eg MS Graph, MS Paint, MS Project - but not Word or Excel. I get all sorts of weird error messages and it's driving me potty.

"Microsoft Access can't start the application required to open this object" is the message I get when I try to open the Excel document, and "A problem occurred whilst Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server or the ActiveX control" is the message I get when I try to open the Word document.

I am using Windows XP Home, and Office XP. All suggestions gratefully received! It would be interesting to know if it works OK for other people - at least then I know its theoretically possible!

Thanks in advance.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding Word and Excel in an Access db (Access 2002)

Sorry to be answering my own post - but I have been reading all the Knowledge Bases I can find and I think I have found the problem - so in case anyone else has something similar, here goes. It seems to be a problem with part of Norton AntiVirus 2002 and the service pack of Office I am using (SP2). I have disabled the NAV Office plugin, and disabled Script Blocking and it all seems OK.

Ruth

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That's interesting - I have been doing some testing before responding, and discovered the same behavior you describe as long as I try to embed the object. If I link to it, all is OK. And I am running NAV 2003 with the Office Plugin disabled. But I do have Script Blocking enabled - disabling that is scary, as many of the Tojan Horses and Virus use that to do nasty things.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi WendellB

Thanks for this - I think I'd better re-enable Script Blocking and forget about embedding! I'd be interested to know if other antivirus programs have the same effect.

Ruth