paulr

Printing from Word

I have a strange printing problem with one of the computers I try to support. It is a Dell Latitude running Word 97 under Windows 98SE and printing via a network (Server running NT SR6) to a Laserjet 2100TN. Sometimes(frequently enough to be irritating but not on every occasion), when the user prints a document, then a few minutes later without further intervention a second copy is printed. I discovered today that it is not the original document that is printed a second time, as the user was in the process of editing the document and it was the partially revised version that was now printed. It doesn't happen to other computers on the network.
    Any thoughts as to possible causes would be welcome.
    (I was looking for a 'puzzled' icon but there doesn't appear to be one).

PaulR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing from Word

Is it possible that the user is in the habit of hitting Ctrl-S to regularly save the document, or Ctrl-A to select all of the document, but is hitting Ctrl-P instead? (Unlikely, as P is at the other end of the keyboard and the Print Dialog box intervenes - but just a thought).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing from Word

It may be the spool setting. Are you running HP Jet Direct?

FWIW, I did experience some difficulties similar to this on an NT 4 platform with an HP printer. I found that when I changed the setting to print directly to printer the issue cleared up.

They may be completely unrelated, but I hope it gives you a place to start.[img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]
    Karen