5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

W97 - PC freezes when opening Document

Have any of you heard of this? A networked PC running Office 97. The pc locks up or hangs when opening a Word document. Our tech support person said this is because the temp directory is on a drive partition greater than 2gig and Office 97 can't handle that. She said Office 2K will take care of that problem.

Is that right? I searched the Microsoft Knowledge base for the error, and didn't find anything. Of course, that doesn't mean I was searching correctly.

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: W97 - PC freezes when opening Document

It's possible the document is corrupt. Can you open the document in Word Pad? You might look at article Q87856 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

suellen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have a document example to give to you. I guess my question was... is it true that having the temp directory on a partition greater than 2 gig can cause Word to hang sometimes when opening docuemnts? And if so, is it true that it is a problem that is resolved with Office 2K?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Having your temp directory in a >2 gig partition is irrelevant. Until recently, my 10 gig drive had only one partition on it, taking up the whole 10 gig, and I use Office 97 a lot.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm. I wonder what she's (our tech support person) is talking about then. She sent a message out to the users telling them this is a problem that Office 2K will fix, but I can't find anything on the knowledge base about it.

Thanks for the info. If you hear of anything, please let me know!

BAM

Hi mmcmanis,

At one time this was an issue but was corrected in SR2. On a drive with more that 2 gig available, Word would reach a variable limit and "think" there wasn't enough space to create the temp file.

Although I don't recall a workstation hanging when this was the case, I believe an error message such as "Word can not open document" or when saving, "Not enough space on drive..." would occur.

There are many reasons for Word not opening. This article from the MS Word FAQ site covers the possibilities:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm</A>

In your case I would suspect a corrupt Normal.dot and/or a corrupt Registry key. Both of which are covered in the article.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!