Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Puzzles

Thanks

Classic Puzzles

Recently, we revisited that classic true / false - two path ways puzzle. Are there any other classics that people can think of?

One that I remember is ...

"I walk 1 mile south, then 1 mile west, then 1 mile north and end up at the same spot that i started at. Then I shoot a bear - what colour is the bear?"
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Classic Puzzles

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>White, you are at the North Pole</font color=yellow></span hi>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Yes, that is the 'classic' answer but there are a bunch of other possible locations too. Any takers?
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)

Thanks

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>You could ca 1.16 from the So Pole, walk 1 mile towards South the pole, then circumnavigate the pole (0.16 mil radius = 1 mile circumference) then walk 1 mile North back to your location.

I doubt you would see any bears at the South pole, however.</font color=yellow></span hi>

Steve

Thanks

Except the puzzle states that you walked 1 mile west, not walked in place for a mile (or even not walked on a treadmill.)

Steve

Thanks

bother - what is that saying?? Hoisted on my own petard! What about an area with crasy magnetic lines? Or walking around a very steep mountain.

Thanks

That was the other one i know. How about <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow> you are walking in New York City, 1 mile south, 1 mile west, then 1 mile north. You shoot a bear and get arrested as a cop killer. How does that work, I hear you ask ... well, when you turned to walk west, you ran into a pile of people heading east - although it felt like you walked a mile west, you actually didn't move (crush of people holding you back etc etc) so that when you turned north, you ended up in the same spot. </font color=yellow></span hi>

Thanks

Crazy magnetic lines isn't really an issue. The "puzzle" states the North, South, West, so we "presume TRUE" values (it is not clear, not does it need to be clear, how you would do this, it is a puzzle). If you talked about using a compass to determine N, S, E, or W, it would be a different puzzle and you would get a different answer and not be at the North pole but in Canada, where the magnetic north pole is!

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Timbo

I remember puzzles of scene setting, limited information like the sample below

How about:

"Bonney and Clyde are found lying in a pool of water, dead. Glass is littered around the scene. The Sheriff is looking on with a contented smile upon his face. How did Bonney and Clyde die?

Jerry
    Jerry

Thanks

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>The cat broke the fishbowl containing Bonney and Clyde</font color=yellow></span hi>

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Steve

That's the one, old but gold.........
    I've been racking my head trying to remember similar ones that we did as kids. The reason I ask is that I have a long, long car journey ahead and it would be a good time filler for the kids.

Jerry
    Jerry

Thanks

I was thinking of the <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow> fish</font color=yellow></span hi> one on the train this morning.

What about the one where a local fisherman is found dead in a phone booth with shattered glass all around. (How did he die?)

Or the one where a workman throws a brick in the air and it disappears. (Where did the brick go?)

Or the one where Prince Charles while flying in a low flying plane. (How did he die?)

Thanks

1] A man goes to work each morning by entering the lift on the floor where he lives, pressing the button for the groundfloor, exiting the lift on the groundfloor, then walking to work. On his return, he enters the lift on the groundfloor, presses the button for the 10th floor, exits on the 10th floor then climbs the stairs to the 16th floor where he lives.
    Q1A] Why?
    Q1B] Why might he not have to do this when it is raining?

2] A woman gives birth to two children within a 60 minute timespan.
    Q2] Why are they not twins?

Thanks

2) <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>They are 2 children from a multiple birth of triplets or more</font color=yellow></span hi>

Steve

Thanks

1<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow> the man is short. He can not reach the button to the 16th floor. When it rains he has an umbrella extending his reach</font color=yellow></span hi>

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast