Lounger
    Thanks

Strange quotes symbols in document (Word 2002)

We communicate with a law office that uses Word 2002. We use Word 2000. This external law office is sending word documents to us. The quote symbols do not translate correctly as well as several other strange code symbols.

Instead of seeing phrases such as "Approved Person" - what we see at our end is a document that looks like the attachment below. The quotes are being sent as "AApproved Person@.

Can anyone shed any light on what I can do?

I do not want to tell users to run a search and replace macro but this might be an option.

Thanks again
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange quotes symbols in document (Word 2002)

Hi. I'm also at a law firm, and we are using Word 2002. When I opened the file you attached in Word 2002, I see something slightly different than what you saw (see attached pdf). When I go to compatibility options, it is set for Word 2000. So, I was wondering if you could forward the Word 2002 version that you are recieving from the client. I have a few ideas of what might be causing it, but nothing I'm sure of.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John:
    The only thing I could find on the Knowledge Base is WD2002: Unexpected Characters Are Added to Your Document, but I'm not sure that's the issue.

However, I notice that the Numbering dialog box shows the y symbol if you go the numbered tab, then Customize... It seems that the source document is created with these symbols. I checked for Font Substitutions, but could not find any.

I hope someone has a better idea.

Thanks

The document you posted has only literal characters A and @ in it (when viewed in Word 2002). They do not appear to be mistaken representations of other characters. What kind of conversion process did it go through, if any, if the sender says there really were quotation mark symbols in those places?

Is it possible that this other office previously used WordPerfect and has retained some WordPerfect symbols in its documents? Word doesn't especially like those...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

This problem occurs when you have a wordperfect document that has been "converted" to Word. While the compatability may have been updated to Word 2000, the characters are still WP characters. The "A and @" characters are WP typographic symbols. You have to search for A as a WP typrographic symbol and replace it with ", then do the same with the @ symbol.

Lounger
    Thanks

This does sound like a Word Perfect smart quotes issue. Don't forget to search for the smart apostrophes tooooo - they may display as =.