New Lounger
    Thanks

Hassles with outlook security (A97)

Hello,
    I have an A97 app which can (could) send out emails to a selected group of users with smaller mdb file attachments. This was used as a data collection tool. Now we have moved to outlook 2003 and, while it does still work, it is a long way from the 'one-click' process! Instead it continuously asks the user to confirm that they know what is going on. This is tedious in the extreme and slows the whole process down horribly.
    Can I get around this behaviour programatically?
    There seem to be three seperate traps. The first asks for permission to use the Address book; the second asks if the user is comfortable with an email being produced automatically, while the third complains about the .mdb file attachment. Removing any one of those questions would speed the process up a lot! so I would be greatful for any suggestions.

regards,
    Martin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hassles with outlook security (A97)

There are several utilities designed to make automatic e-mailing possible, but I don't know how they interact with Outlook 2003. See Outlook Email Security Update (it has not been updated fully for Outlook 2003), or do a search in the Outlook forum for clickyes, redemption or attopt. I would recommend sending Access databases zipped, by the way.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    That was quick [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I've had a look at the options you mention. Sadly, they all appear to require the server administrator to change the setup. Haveing spoken to them, this seems unlikely. So, unless, something else bobs up, my users get to suffer. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Thanks anyway, it was much appreciated.

regards,
    Martin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

ClickYes, Ken Slovak's Attachment Options (AttOpt) and the Redemption DLL are all installed locally on the user's PC. Using Redemption also means modifying the VBA code used to e-mail from Access. Neither of these involves changing server settings. The Slopstick link I provided mentions changing an Exchange Server setting, but the above utilities don't need that. I have only used them on Outlook 2002 SP-2, and they work well there; but security restrictions are more severe in Outlook 2002 SP-3 and in Outlook 2003.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    What I failed to mention is that the users are working on a remote PC via a CITRIX Terminal server client. Hense, my issue with the server admin.

regards,
    Martin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, OK. I'm afraid I know nothing about that kind of setup. I hope that others will pick up this thread.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Both Citrix and Windows Terminal Server operate like main frame computers in the pre-PC/Mac days - or like PC Anywhere today. The Users simply send keystrokes and a signal is sent back repainting the screen. All applications are held on a central server. Unfortunately, if the OP has no leverage with IT Admin, then there is little he can do. HTH
    Gre