New Lounger
    Thanks

HCF Modem and ATT

I have a Dell XP computer with a Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem. In order to get it to connect to ATT internet, I had to add four commas after the phone number. This evidently disables the V90, and gives me a connection speed of 14 (!) - which IS better than no connection at all? The directions say to "Contact your modem manufacturer or computer vendor to upgrade the modem driver or firmware. you may also visit the modem manufacturer's Web site and download the latest driver for this modem. Then I am supposed to remove the commas and it SHOULD work. I looked at ModemHelp.org and modemsite.com, but I am evidently not knowledgeable enough to know where to find the driver. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, - Barb.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HCF Modem and ATT

A comma in a dial string usually means that there is a pause of a couple of seconds before "the next character" is sent up the line. Why should ATT need so much of a pause at the end?

You should be able to get any updates to a Dell-installed modem from the Dell download site...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW Conexant Modems have yet to fill me with confidence. Have you could tried http://www.conexant.com/ and found that Conexant refer you back to Dell? HTH
    Gre

Thanks

Although it costs 10 cents a minute, you might try the 888 number for AT&T Worldnet and see if it gives different results. If the results are better, it could be that the local access number you were trying has problems and you'll need to select a different one. Just a thought.