New Lounger
    Indiana, USA

Auto save? (Access 2000)

A user who has a PC quite prone to crashing (I suspect a loose nut on the keyboard) has been losing data when the machine "locks up" while entering data into an Access form. The user is asking for an "AutoSave" feature silmilar to other Office products. I am not aware of, nor can I find such a feature in Access. It also seems to me that the most data that could possibly be lost is one record since Access saves each record as it exits. I have not seen the Access database in question, but I fear I will soon! Am I thinking correctly on this, or does anyone have any handy "AutoSavey" suggestions? Any words of wisdom would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks, Mark

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Auto save? (Access 2000)

You are correct that at most one record would be lost, unless the database as a whole becomes corrupt when it crashes.

An AutoSave feature could be risky, since the user may not have entered all required fields, or may have entered invalid information when it kicks in, causing an error message.

If you still want to try it, you can write a simple AutoSave feature for a form:
    - Set the Timer Interval property to the interval between automatic saves in milliseconds; for example, if you want to save every minute, use 60 * 1000 = 60000.
    - Create code in the On Timer event of the form:

Private Sub Form_Timer()
    ' Next line is optional - suppresses error messages if record cannot be saved
    On Error Resume Next
    If Me.Dirty Then
    RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
    End If
    End Sub