Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible Field Names (2000-SP3)

After I add a new Field Name to the end of an existing table, it is not visible when displaying the table in design or table view. It is also not visible when designing a query. However, if the entire table is used in a select query the field is visible in the results of the query.
    If another field is added, then the previous one is visible and the new one is not.
    The field is visible when designing forms and reports.
    Can anyone shed some light on this strange behavior??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible Field Names (2000-SP3)

I have never experienced or heard of this error, and a search didn't turn up anything useful.

Does the problem remain if you
    1. Compact and Repair the database?
    2. Close and reopen the database?
    3. Restart your PC?
    4. Import the tables into a new blank database?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Hans instructions, can you tell us *how* you're adding the fields? Are you doing it from design view of the table, from code, or what? And are these Access tables in an mdb or SQL Server tables in an ADP?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen behavior like this when I had the tables defined in a background MDB file, and linked to them from the foreground MDB file.

My solution was to simply delete the link, and re-establish the link to the modified table. It seems that the foreground MDB must obtain and save locally some of the table characteristics for local use. Apparently, the delete/link process refreshes that saved information.

However, if your referenced/modified table is local (not linked), then I, too, have never seen the problem.

-- Jim

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, the answers to your questions are:

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Have not tried this, but will try it later when I get to system that has the Design Master on it.

Charlote, the answers are:

The tables are in a MBD and is a DB that I have been using for about 2 years with no table changes. However, the need to add some fields to a couple of tables brought the situation to light.

The fields are being added in design view to an existing table.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excuse me, but "the Design Master"? Are you dealing with a replicated back end or front end? If so, are you syncing and still not seeing the field?
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Not everyone works in a network enviroment. When I look at the db, it says it is the Design Mater. Getting into a back end or front end enviroment is just too complicated and not needed.
    It is a fairly simple db and I have a replica of the db on my laptop for informational purposes. The replica exhibits the same problem.
    Thinking I should have suck with 97?

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: In answer to your question #4 -

Importing the tables to a new blank db from the Design Master or a Replica shows all fields. However, there are some new fields added to the tables. These fields start with Gen_ or s_. If importing to a blank db solves this, what should be done with the extra fields.
    I assume that importing everything to a blank db creates a new starting point.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Replication isn't specific to networks and it has nothing to do with 97 vs 2000. Briefcase replication is intended to allow a laptop to sync files to a desktop. However, replication introduces additional complications and needs to be considered in examining the problem. If it is a replicated front end or a single database application that is replicated, then you have to sync design changes before you make data changes to avoid running into data conflicts. The additional fields you mentioned in your reply to Hans are fields that are hidden in replicas but are used by the replication process to resolve conflicts and insure unique identifiers in records.

I'll go back to my earlier question, are you syncing the design changes between the master and the replica on your laptop and then still not seeing the new fields? You must make design changes *only* in the design master and then you must sync the master and replica to pass those changes to the replica. If you have made data changes in the replica, you may run into conflicts since the equivalent data in the master will be different.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

My reference to 97 vs 2000 was in light of not having any problems of this type with 97.
    The answer to your question is yes.

It is always last field added to the table or the last field in the table that is not seen. This is right after adding the field. It is always the last field added that is hidden. And I always add new fields at the end of a table. Adding a new field causes the field that previously last to be seen.

All design changes are made in the Design Master. As I stated before the replica on my laptop is for reference and information, and they are synced about once a month. No changes to data or design are made on the laptop and I sort of consider it a backup.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Having worked with replication a fair bit, I would strongly counsel you to split the database and not have the database with forms, code, reports, etc replicated. That way you only have to replicate the data, and the only time you will see design changes to a replica is when you add fields to a table, which should be pretty infrequent as you have discovered. And frankly we've found 2000 replication to be much more robust than 97 - conflict resolution in 97 was a bear compared to 2000/2002. There are some known replication issues that are fixed with the most recent SP for Jet, that being SP8 - see <!mskb=239114>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 239114<!/mskb> for details on how to determine what version of Jet 4.0 you have. That could explain the behavior you are seeing - I have never experienced it with a replicated database.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell:

Followed your suggestion. Jet 4.o on my desktop is an older version. On my laptop it is current. Don't know how this happened, because my update logs are identidcal.

Will download the latest Jet 4.0 and apply it to my desktop. Any other steps I should follow??

Lounger
    Thanks

Updated Jet 4.0 to SP8 on my desktop. No change in behaviour.
    Ran "Compact and Repair". No change in behaviour.

Maybe I'll have to start over by importing everything into a new db, remove all replication fields from the tables and use it as my base. This really only effects me, but, it would be nice to solve the apparent problem.

Really don't like strange things happening that can't be explained!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you decide to take the path of getting rid of replication, take a look at the Access Help topic "Make a replicated database a regular database" - it isn't a trivial exercise, but one I've been though a couple of times when misguided users decide to create a replicated database for whatever reason.
    Wendell