Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linking tables over network (Access 2000)

I have a network and one machine contains the Back End Data Tables. Occasionally, when other machines try to link to it's tables the error message "The Microsoft Jet Database engine cannot opent the file GLK.......It is already opened exclusively by another user or you need permissoin to view its data" How to I make sure that the BackEnd tables aren't opened exclusively by another user. The Microsoft KnowledgeBase is useless and doesn't give any answer except to use NetWatcher BLAH BLAH BLAH ....

Thanks In Advance!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking tables over network (Access 2000)

Do all users have modify (read/write/create/delete) permissions on the folder containing the database? If a user with only read rights opens the database, Access can't create a .ldb file and since that is used to track who has the database open, the database can't be shared any more.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Yes all users have read/write priviledges. What I discovered is that I have to open the BE.mdb file manually and force it to create an .ldb file and then it seems to work because if link into the BE on the main PC with the FE no .ldb is created? Why wouldn't a direct link to the BE create the locked file?
    Thanks!
    Grady

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In my experience, Access automatically creates an .ldb file for the backend database as soon as someone opens a linked table from a frontend (in my FE databases, there is always a startup form that connects to the BE; it stays open during the entire session to avoid the BE .ldb from being created and deleted repeatedly.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You didn't indicate that users have the create permission, and that's the key to the .LDB file.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

When the user opens up the FE on the main computer it automatically links to the BE but no locked file is created for the BE?!? I've tested it out several times and it always does the same thing.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not excatly what you mean by user permissions... the FE has not been compiled to a MDE and it has no restrictions on it? How do I check for "create" permissions.

Thanks In Advance!
    Grady

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell means permissions on the folder, in Windows. You can check these permissions by right-clicking the folder, selecting Properties and activating the Security tab. It is possible to give a user read, write, create and delete permissions independently of each other. So even if the user can write to an existing .ldb file, that wouldn't help if the permission to create a new one is lacking.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hans hit the nail on the head - I was referring to file permission in the folder where the BE database is, presuming you are running an NTFS file system with NT domain user profiles.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both - Hans and WendellB - The permissions on the folder are set as such that they have read/write access (ability to modify data and structure), however I noticed one problem that I've come accross before and that is I can't get the "archive" check box cleared out - can that be a source of the problem. I have followed the whole root structure of what I want to share but it doesn't seem to help. Have I lost you guys are am I totally on the wrong path.
    Thanks!
    Grady

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that the Archive flag is related to your problem; it is set each time a file is created or modified, and it is cleared by backup applications. I'm afraid I don't have an explanation or solution for your problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You still haven't indicated that users have the create capability in the folder - having read/write doesn't necessarily mean they can create a new file, which a user must do if there is nobody else in the database. Create is an explicit permission in an NTFS file system folder, and the user must have that permission for the folder that the database resides in.

As Hans indicates, the Archive bit is not an issue here.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, how do you do this? Do you use a "dummy" table on the back end and have a form with one control using that dummy table as a control source? Then leave that form open during the session? Do you make the form invisible so the user does not see it? How do you arrange for the form to close when the user exits the DB?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Using a dummy table would be one possibility, but my databases always have some kind of menu form, either the standard switchboard form or a home-brewed form, that is linked to a table in the backend. Anything the end user needs to do can be reached from this form, and I often include code to ensure that the only way to close the form is to click the "Close Database" button. The menu form stays open duringh the entire session.