Star Lounger
    Thanks

'non-functioning' combo box (2002 / SP2)

I've got a database I'm using as a 'menu' to acces a multitude of spreadsheets, documents and other databases. The user clicks check boxes to open the proper item. In some cases the items involve mutiple years so I'm using combo boxes so the user can select the exact item needed. I've got 5 combo boxes on the form, each one is using data from the same table with criteria to screen out unwanted files.
    I had this working a few months ago but didn't finish. I am now back on this project and need to finalize what I've started
    The problem is - now the combo boxes aren't working. No matter which item I select from the list from any of the combo boxes on the form, the combo box returns the first record.
    I've created another combo box on a new form using the same data and I can select anything from the list, so my problem is with my first form.

I've tried compact and repair and it still does the same thing.

I've had this happen before and ended up recreating the entire form. This one is more involved and recreating it will be a real headache. Is there anyone who might know why my combo boxes are not working and perhaps a fix so I don't have to start over?

I'd appreciate any wisdom thrown my way.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'non-functioning' combo box (2002 / SP2)

Does the form have its AllowEdits property set to False? That would prevent combo boxes from being updated.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    It's set to yes..
    Deletion & Addition also yes
    On the box itself - Limit to list is yes
    Enabled is yes
    Locked is no.
    The only code behind the form is to maximize on open
    Everything else I checked looks like it's okay - but I may not be looking at the right thing. .
    thanks for helping.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you create a new combo box on the existing (problem) form? Can you select an item in it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

A new combo box works fine.
    I guess I'm stuck with creating new ones.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

At least you won't have to recreate the entire form.

(If you wish, you can post a stripped down copy of the database; I'm sure someone will be willing to look at it.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I just sent a database to a client and we needed to make sure they couldn't change any data. The database really only contains one (vast) form (originally for data entry, now just to browse the inputted results) with combo boxes used to navigate. After setting the form to 'allow edits - no' the combos didn't work. I'm just checking (based on you earlier comment in this thread) that there is no way to get round this.

I decided rather than waste time pondering the situation to just lock all the other controls and set the subforms' allow edits property to no. This seemed to work ok, I was just wondering if I'd missed an easier option.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can set the RecordsetType property of the form to Snapshot instead of the default Dynaset. This will make all data in the form read-only, but will leave unbound controls operational.