3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

page numbers (2000)

I am trying to set up page numbers in a footer and can't figure out how to do it -- either from the footer bar or via the menus.

I want the first page (cover page) to not have any number, then the next page should start with i, then ii, etc. ... until I get to a certain point (where I tried to insert a section break w/o it working) -- after that point, I want the page numbering to start over with Roman numbers 1,2,3 etc. to the end of the doc.

How can I do this?? Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: page numbers (2000)

For the first page: Go to File-->Page Setup-->Layout an check off the different first page option.
    For the next pages: View-->Header and Footer and use auto text to insert the page number. Then go to Insert-->Page Numbers-->Format. This brings up the Page Number Format box, and from here you can set up the number the way you want it. Once you have set up the number the way that you want it to appear, click OK on the Page Number Format Menu and Close on the Page Number menu (DO NOT CLICK OK ON THE PAGE NUMBER MENU BECAUSE IT WILL INSERT THE NUMBER INCORRECTLY)
    For the first page that you want to appear with 1,2,3: You were right about the section break. (If you think that the section break has not been inserted, try viewing the page in Normal view and turn on all the paragraph marks and character marks by clicking on the paragraph symbol on the general toolbar.) Insert a next page section break above the first line of text for the page that should be numbered "1". Then go into that footer and turn off "same as previous". Then repeat the process you did to set up the previous pages.
    Hope this helps!