Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Embedding Help in documents (XP)
2004-03-31, 14:59 #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2004
- London, Ontario
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Embedding Help in documents (XP)
I am interested in embedding Help into Word documents. For example, is it possible to have an option on the Help menu that opens a help file that is document-specific? Or to have F1 help available in different columns, etc.? The documents would in most cases not be forms (and I am aware that status bar help is available for form fields).
Thanks for your help.
2004-03-31, 17:22 #2
- Join Date
- Feb 2001
- Silicon Valley, USA
- Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
Re: Embedding Help in documents (XP)
You cannot directly integrate document content (or embedded files in the document) into Word's help system, but you could:
(1) Take over the F1 keystroke and respond to it using your own code in which you check the location of the insertion point in the document;
(2) Add help buttons or hyperlinks in the document to which you respond with your own help information;
(3) Embed a compiled help file (*.CHM) or just a plain old Word document with help text;
(4) Add a menu item that runs a macro that launches any kind of file (inside Word or outside Word).