2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Check for Consistency - what is it?

Twice in the last couple of days, upon startup I get a mesage Windows is checking disk for consistency. Is this something to worry about? Why is it happening? (I searched the Lounge and only came up with a Lounger who had this "problem" with a dual-boot system.) I'm running a straight Win 2K with nothing added in the last week or so.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Check for Consistency - what is it?

Are you skipping the disk check, or letting it run and correct errors?

This is Windows 2000 making sure that there are no errors in the file system. Errors in the file system happen from time to time. If it happens regularly and allowing the OS to correct problems it finds does not get rid of it, then it's time to look deeper into potential causes.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,
    Yes, I have disk checking on.. It sounds like I don't have to worry unless all the errors are not fixed. I just got nervous when I got the checking message twice in a 24 hour period.
    Thanks for your help.
    Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Typically the consistency checks are not something to be concerned about unless the recur with greater frequency. Many things can cause this to happen, most often it is due to improper shutdowns, such as a power loss or system crash.

The best thing you can do is to allow them to complete and let Windows correct any errors it finds. If you see these checks every time you reboot, post back and we can look into the matter in greater detail.
    -Mark