Thread: Shared Printer

Lounger
    Thanks

Shared Printer

I have a Peer To Peer network, Set up a Workgroup, I have 5 computers on workgroup. I am trying to connect to a printer that is not a net workable printer that is connected directly to computer A , printer is a (HP 80) I get access denied? I have connected to another Printer same situation off one of the other computers.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Printer

Just as a check, do you have appropriate permissions set on the printer share? Also, I am assuming that the same user ID works with other shared resources on the host PC?
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

I have Administrator Permission for the computer that is trying to use the printer. Resource ID I am unaware of.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The relevant test would be to see if you can access other shared resources on the host PC using the same credentials that fail on the printer share. Have you tried this?
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Computer A is the one I am trying to connect through to a direct printer. I cannot connect from Computer B (windows 2000, admin privileges) or Computer C that is XP. Conclusion is that Computer A or the Printer has some element stopping connection.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

A reasonable conclusion, and logical. Can computer A access resources on B and C? Can B and C access any other shared resources on A? Also, what are the printer share's permissions? Users needing to access the printer on A will need the proper rights, which I suspect have not been assigned.

You could also try installing a second instance of the printer, and sharing that. Step through the Add Printer wizard carefully, and make sure that you allow access to network users.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Checked from other computers and accidentally connected through Network Places, I could see the printer through that and connected. strange. I have set up a file on A computer and set it to share. Have not been able to accomplish that yet, still working on it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmn, I wonder if it's a matter of cached user credentials? Network Places works slightly differently than the "normal" network connection.
    -Mark