Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Equation editor display / font problem (Word 2002 SP2)

My son created a document with lots of (fairly small) equations. These were created with Microsoft Equation 3.0.

The document was fine at the time he created it, and a few days later.

When he opened the document a few months later the equations all appear to have a strange font, instead of the mathematical symbols. The letters are all fine. For example the attached picture should be t + n. If he double clicks on an equation then it looks correct in the equation editor, but when he returns to word it has the wrong characters again.

The doucment looks fine on a different PC running the identical version of word. I tried creating a new document with equations on the problem computer and it has the same problem.

Any suggestion of what could be wrong on this PC?

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (250 Bytes, 1 views)

Thanks

Re: Equation editor display / font problem (Word 2002 SP2)

This is a symbol from the Webdings font group. This is strange. Using "Symbol Selector", if I copy and paste this symbol into a Word document, it gets pasted just like the original. However, I copied and pasted it in this reply, and it looks like " + ". (The plus sign in quotes is the pasted symbol).
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for recognising this, the other problem characters are also the Webdings equivalent of the correct characters.

I still don't know how to fix it, I just tried detect and repair with no success, but "knowledge is power" so I guess we're getting closer.

Here's another example in case it jogs anyone's memory. This one should read -2 x -2 x 4 x 6 = 96

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (604 Bytes, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This may naive, so if you already tried this, please forgive me: with Equation Editor open, select Style | Define... Make sure that the Symbol font is listed for the Symbol style.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, it is fixed now.

The dialog box did say that it was set to symbol, but when I changed it to a different font it would not let me change it back to symbol again. Removing the symbol font and copying in a new one from another PC fixed the problem.

StuartR