Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Smart Quotes (2000+)

Hi All,

Rather than continuing on from the sidetrack in <post#=355573>post 355573</post#>, let me start a new thread on the subject. I have trouble getting smart quotes all the time w/o going thru lots of trouble (see below). Yes I do have the option under AutoFormat as you type to replace quotes with smart quotes as checked.

As I mentioned in that post, I'd say about 50% of the time, the replacement doesn't happen. Today, I was working on a document and I'd say the % was closer to 100. Here are a few observations:
    - the document in question was an existing one (or a copy of a copy ...). In this case, typing a quote (or dbl quote) would result in a dumb quote. However, if I turned on italics before typing the quote, it would come out smart. This is good if I want a smart quote in front of italicized material but a real pain to turn on just for the quote. However, there were some instances where I got a smart quote wo italics. Also, if I changed the italicized (smart) quote back to non-italics, it turned dumb.
    - I tried a new document: still a mixture of smart and dumb but I get smart quotes wo turning on italics and I can get dumb quotes even w italics.

Both above docs based on normal.dot.

Can always use the find/replace option suggested in the other thread. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Smart Quotes (2000+)

Hi Fred:
    Just thinking out loud because I don't know the solution. You say these are existing documents. We're they converted from another application? If this only happens with existing documents, I wonder if there is some corruption. You could try the steps for troubleshooting corrupt documents, starting with copying everything but the last paragraph mark (or copying section & section without the breaks if they contain section breaks).

(By the way, I assume that you set the zoom level high enough to see whether the quotes are smart or not. I recall a thread where someone swore smart quotes didn't work with Arial & it turned out that it just didn't appear to work. Once you set the zoom level to, say, 150%, you could see the smart quotes.)

Another thing that comes to mind is font corruption...especially since it works with italics. I would try changing the font & seeing if that seemed to make a difference.

If those don't work, I'd go through the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Hope this helps,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the thoughts.

- even tho a copy of a copy..., I'm 99.9999% sure the original was not converted from some other app. I only work with a few apps and the last time I thought about some other word processing program was 1890...oops 1990 under DOS

- I tried some combination of fonts and got the same mixed results with TNR in a new document

- I have been setting the zoom to 150% bcs I wasn't sure. It only confirms.

- on trouble shooting, see attached doc which I created just before my original post. It's a mixture of things. I can't detect a pattern.

Fred
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred:
    Well they certainly are a mixture of ASCII codes 34, 0147, & 0148. Have you tried troubleshooting using the link I gave? I really can't think of anything else. (I think you mentioned one time that you tried Detect & Repair).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Given that I had just created the file I sent a few minutes earlier, I don't think there's much that can go wrong. Given that I also see this kind of behavior on my other PC with Word 2K (the file I sent was created under XP), I'm not sure there's much wrong other than an MS bug. If I have a chance, I'll take a look at the link.

Maybe the answer is to adapt Allan's macro that you posted in the other thread (where I first brought this up) to find code 34 and replace it by 147 or 148 (similarly for the single quote). I think the algorithm is easy: a double quote in front of a word (or after a space) is an opening smart quote, etc. I think it was Andrew L who suggested the F/R on the other thread also.

Don't recall mentioning that I used Detect & Repair in this context.

Fred

Thanks

I have to say that I find smart quotes work fine for me on both Word 97 and Word 2000. If I have a document from someone else that has dumb quotes I just replace the quotes like for like (so replace " with " and replace ' with ' and they turn smart if I have the use smart quotes option turned on.

Ian