5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help file (XP, 2000)

Is it just me or does anyone else find it difficult and frustrating to get help from the Access help file? For example, I saw in the help file that it is possible to create object groups in the database window so that when you click on a group it shows shortcuts to all the forms, tables, queries, and reports in that group. Yet, I am unable to find out how to actually create such a group.

Likewise, I have spent 30 minutes trying to find out how to create a caption (column heading) on a query.. still haven't found it but I know it must be in there somewhere.

Is there some trick or technique to effectively using Access help? This is not the first time I have had these problems but it is the first time I have vented (I think... I may have let off steam before, not sure).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Help file (XP, 2000)

You aren't the first one to complain about Access (and Office) Help in 2000 and beyond. HTML help has been the bane of many Office developers. I use the search function most of the time, and then resort to the index and keyword if I can't find things, but there are help topics that are literally empty as well - there have been posts about those if you search on Access Help.

To answere your specific questions, 1) if you click on the Groups header and then right click underneath favorites, you get a menu option that says Add New Group. 2) If you view a query in design mode, and then select the field you want to give a caption to and display the properties window, on the General tab there is a Caption property.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think there are very few people outside Microsoft who like the HTML help that was introduced in Office 2000. It actually contains a lot of useful material, but you can only find it if you already know the correct keywords.

About grouping: the bar on the left hand side of the database window is divided into two sections: Objects and Groups. There is a default group Favorites, and you can create a new group by right-clicking somewhere in the Groups section and selecting New Group... from the context menu. You can also rename and delete groups (except Favorites) from the right-click menu.
    You can add a database object (table, form, ...) to a group in several ways:
    - Drag it from the database window onto the group icon in the left hand bar of the database window.
    - Right click the item, and select Add to Group.
    - Select the item, and select Edit | Add to Group (in Access 2002)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you. It is reassuring to know that my frustration is not unique. And thanks for the tips.