5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

calculate total hours (2003 or 97sr2)

Please take a look at the attached worksheet and help me figure out how to calculate the total hours at the bottom. The user said this data is a download he receives every day and he doesn't want to have to reformat it each time. Can we calculate with it in the format he has, or is there a simple way to convert his format... I am totally ignorant when it comes to VB. Thank you!!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: calculate total hours (2003 or 97sr2)

That didn't work. What do I do about the cells where he has the start time as 0:00 and the end time as 0:00.. how will Excel know that's a 24-hour period? I must be missing something in your instructions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the Number tab of Format | Cells..., select the Custom category, and enter [h]:mm in the Type box. the brackets [ and ] allow the display of cumulative time (above 24 hours).

If the user wants an automatic way to apply this, let him create a macro

Sub SetFormat()
    Selection.NumberFormat = "[h]:mm"
    End Sub

in his Personal.xls and assign it to a custom toolbar button and/or keyboard shortcut. Legare Coleman's <!post=Personal.xls Tutorial (All),118382>Personal.xls Tutorial (All)<!/post> explains how to create and use Personal.xls.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 31-Mar-04 17:22. )</P>Edited.

The spreadsheet appears to show that all times to be compared appear on the same day. If any of them cross over midnight, then you have a problem with the data layout. Otherwise the formuals seem to calculate correctly, for example the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th May.

When the total at the bottom is formatted per Hans instructions, the result is correct for me. Note that the formula only adds rows 100 - 110.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS