Thanks

Valid download file? (Spybot S&D 1.2)

I downloaded the install file for Spybot S&D 1.2 from Tucows, using a mirror named Tierra. Out of an abundance of paranoia, I decided to download a second copy and do a file compare to verify that they were the same. As soon as I saw they were different sizes, I knew something strange was going on. A third download site also did not match the Tierra file, but did match the second file.

Any thoughts? How do you verify the integrity of mirrored downloads when the author's site doesn't provide any file size or checksum information?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Valid download file? (Spybot S&D 1.2)

The only thing I can come up with regarding the file size difference is the data or ref or "whatever" files included with the download.
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson

My version is simply spybotsd12.exe with size 3,598 KB, downloaded on 24/04/2003, probably from Patrick Kolla's website. It has worked fine from that date onwards, when regularly updated!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

I have downloaded from two different sites and both installation files are 3.49 MB (3,662.787). The authoring company's site is here .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In this case (Spybot) I always download from the source (Rebel's link above) and mine was 13 June 2003 and is also 3,589 in size. FWIW

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I downloaded the 3,577 KB Spybot S&D 1.2 version "spybotsd12.exe" from Patrick Kolle's site on 26 August 2003. That is the source site. HTH

Edited: There was mention on the site - sometime in 2003 - of someone having attempted to pirate the product. Patrick Kolle managed to get the ISP in question to pull the site. Whether the other product had the same filename, I do not know. (As a point of practice, if I annotate a download, I include it as a prefix in parentheses [e.g. (canon)s3A01enx.exe] - to maintain version control.)
    Gre

Thanks

Thanks, all. I added the part after the _ to remind me of the source. I didn't see a way to download directly, just mirrors, but I will go back and find it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I could only find the mirrors to download from. But I get the same size that Rebel mentioned from 2 different mirrors...one of them being download.com, which I have used before (although I block their cookies).