New Lounger
    Thanks

doc search (office xp)

In outlook I can use the preview pane to partly view each email as I search through my list of emails, I can do the same thing in winfax pro - partly view each fax as I highlight each fax in a list. Is there a plug-in or software that will let me search word docs by previewing part of each doc rather than having to open each doc to check it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: doc search (office xp)

Click the dropdown arrow in the Views button in toolbar at the top of the Open dialog, and select Preview.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you that's just what i wanted. I have to find several hundred files to print them out. My OS is win2kpro, and I would like to be able to preview doc files when i am searching for a file either by using the search feature or when in explorer. I tried two downloads from zdnet but both of them were not stable and caused problems. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you again for your help, I have just installed office XP and did not realize it would do this.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Larry:
    One thing I would add (assuming that Word 2002 hasn't changed this behavior from 2000). If you go to File/Properties/Summary tab, you will see a little box at the bottom that says "Save preview picture". Fortunately, it's not checked by default. Do NOT check this box. If you do, all you will see in the preview box is a small first page...so small that you can't read anything.

That option is only "useful" to give a preview picture of a template in the File/New... dialog box, and, even there, it's usefulness is questionable & it increases the file size.