2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Home Network (XP Home & 98SE)

I am trying to network my two home computers using XP on one and 98SE on the other. I am using a D-Link residential gateway to allow access to the internet from both computers. That works fine. How do I set up a network to access the "other" computer? I've tried following the network setup in XP, but can't seem to connect . I'm assuming the problem is in 98 but don't know what to do to correct the problem.
    HELP!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home Network (XP Home & 98SE)

Not being familiar with your network topology, I need to ask a few questions first. Let's clarify exactly what the problem is.

<UL><LI>Are you using broadband, or dial-up Internet access?
    <LI>How are things wired together on the D-Link? Is there an incoming line for broadband (WAN) and then several output ports?
    <LI>I am assuming that the computers are connected to the Internet via network cards and CAT-5 or better cable...?
    <LI>Is the nature of your problem that Windows 98 cannot connect to shared resources on the Windows XP system, or is it the reverse?[/list]More information please! If you can provide an example of what you are trying (and not able to) do, it would be immensely helpful.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1. I'm using broadband. (cable)
    2. Yes
    3. 10/100 cards and Cat 5
    4. I can't get XP to talk to 98 or 98 to talk to XP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent. Now I understand completely (about time, you say).

More questions:
    <UL><LI>Is the Windows XP firewall enabled? This would prevent the Win98 system from seeing or talking to XP, but not the reverse.
    <LI>Is there any firewall software on the Windows 98 PC?
    <LI>Do you have a user account set up on the Windows XP station for the Windows 98 PC?
    <LI>What does the IP configuration show? In Windows 98, you can check by entering WINIPCFG at the Start - Run prompt. On XP, you must check from the command prompt: Start - Run - CMD and then enter IPCONFIG /all. These commands are not case sensitive, by the way.
    <LI>If you get IP addresses on either workstation, can you ping that workstation? Open a command prompt and try: PING 123.123.123.123 where "123.123.123.123." is the IP address.[/list]
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1. No
    2. No
    3. ?????How
    4 & 5. I have tried to ping the "other Computers IP address with no results.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Mark, it's been a long while but don't Win98 & 95 need to use NetBUI as the protocol rather than TPC/IP? <!profile=DaveA>DaveA<!/profile> got me straight way back <!post=here,145885>here<!/post>, and if applicable my later <!post=post,146472>post<!/post> on obtaining the drivers may be useful.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Technically, they are not supposed to need NetBEUI, but it is often the easiest solution. Thanks for the reminder, I believe that may be the answer in this case.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

For the account issue, ignore it for the time being. I had my Windows NT/2000/XP hat on and that is a common problem sharing between those systems. Take a look at John's post regarding NetBEUI; this might be the answer.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But, just so's your suggestion doesn't get lost.....
    <hr>...Do you have a user account set up on the Windows XP station for the Windows 98 PC?... <hr>
    When I first installed XP Pro on this machine, I had to setup a valid user account on this machine with the login name(s) used on my (then) Win98SE and WinME machines in order to get those two machines visibility to the XP machine. And I did not have NETBEUI as the default protocol on either machine.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there information on this operation somewhere in XP or do I look somewhere else?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It has been two years ago since I made this bookmark, but I just checked and the link still works. This is where I got the idea for the user accounts thing.

Edited to add: I forgot to add that I also followed the process for creating ACLs mentioned at that site.