Lounger
    Thanks

Word2003 Opens Slowly (Office 2003)

Word 2003 opens very slowly on my system - Other Office applications (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) open fast, as I would expect from my 3GHz/512MB system. When Word starts, it hangs with the window partially open (you can still see my desktop) and takes about 10-15 seconds to start. I have repaired my installation, and it hasn't improved matters any. Any suggestions for what to look for to try to fix this?

Thanks

Re: Word2003 Opens Slowly (Office 2003)

Do you have Norton AntiVirus installed? If you do, do you have the Office Plug-in enabled (options>miscellaneous)? Sometimes the plug-in will slow down the launching of Word (but not normally 10-15 seconds). If this applies to you, uncheck the Office Plug-in and see what happens.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also if one is using Word as their email editor, then Word will open slower.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

I have NAV, but it is the corporate version that doesn't have the office plug-in. I thought of that, and it is turned on for my home PC with OfficeXP, and it doesn't slow down Word much....on a much slower PC. So, it must be something else. I have had trouble with the task pane opening, and I suspect this has something to do with Word trying to communicate with the internet for some reason....I have ZoneAlarm running, but turning that off doesn't seem to help either.

Thanks

Do you have any others add-ins, such as Acrobat, that starts up with Word? Phil's famous Star Post on troubleshooting Word behavioral problems describes a technique to start up Word without loading any add-ins at all (and not even your own normal.dot):

Start > Run... > winword.exe /a

If that's fast, you then can try to work out exactly which part of Word's various bits and pieces is the culprit.

Lounger
    Thanks

I deleted the toolbar for Acrobat, and that seems to have solved the problem. Acrobat V6 Pro seems to have some problems, and is slow starting up itself. This seems much better now....thanks for the suggestions. (I have a Mac at home and OSX comes with built-in acrobat file creation, and it is much faster than the full Acrobat product on a much faster PC.)

Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, taking out the Acrobat stuff seems not to have helped. Further experimenting indicates that ZoneAlarm is apparently slowing Word down. If I turn off ZoneAlarm, Word opens faster. I could find nothing in the ZoneAlarm support area indicating this was a known issue. I think Word is trying to connect to the internet when it starts.....and ZoneAlarm is slowing that down. I have turned off the online Word help option, so I don't know why it is doing this. Maybe there is a registry setting I haven't found. Any suggestions? (ZoneAlarm is not a critical issue for my work PC, as I am inside the corporate firewalls, but I was using ZoneAlarm to detect and block some popup and spam advertising programs that a colleague was spreading around in her email. I have ZoneAlarm set to start manually now.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's probably looking at the office update web site to check for patches. I don't remember how flexible ZoneAlarm is but have a look at this Microsoft article on configuring firewalls to allow Office applications to access the internet and see if it helps.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I would check for other add-ins besides Acrobat Reader. Maybe one of them is trying to access the Internet. You can check the beginning of <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> for instructions on downloading & running a support template for Word 2003.