New Lounger
    Thanks

OE6 Doesn't Recognize Password (OE6)

I attempted to set up a new identity in Outlook Express on my husband's laptop so I could check my e-mail from there while he was using my desktop. I used the same identity that I have on my desktop and the same password, but I couldn't get it to work, so I gave up. The big problem is that when my husband tried to access his e-mail, it wouldn't recognize his password! We have tried everything we can think of. He deleted my identity/account from his laptop. He was able to create a new identity, used his old e-mail address, and now can get his e-mail; however, all of his folders, stored e-mail and address book are inaccessible.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Is there a way to get to old e-mail and address book without going through Outlook Express?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Toni McNulty, VA
    Secretarial Solutions USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE6 Doesn't Recognize Password (OE6)

Do you know where all the .dbx files are stored from his old identity? If not, do a search for [name of folder].dbx where [name of folder] is the name of one of the folders that were in his old identity.

Once you've found these, within OE under his NEW identity, you should be able to click on File, Import, Messages, etc and browse to this folder, then import them all (sorry I can't give exact instructions, I'm at work and don't have OE here!). You should be able to repeat this for the address book, too, if you're lucky; File, Import, Address book, etc.

Important Note: BEFORE doing this, save all his NEW emails in a folder that is called something you are absolutely certain did not exist in the old one, or the import will overwrite the new ones! It literally makes a file of each folder, eg inbox.dbx and the import overwrites any file with the same name - so the new inbox.dbx will be overwritten by the imported one, deleting any messages that were there before the import.

HTH
    Beryl M

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE6 Doesn't Recognize Password (OE6)

Thank you, Beryl! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes!

Toni