Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows installer (Office 2003 Pro)

If I scan for Windows updates online it works, but if I scan for Office updates it says: Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer. I have had no trouble in the past. I reported the error to Microsoft but have not had a reply, and it appears that if I want an answer I'll have to pay them for an explanation.

I had been trying to change the settings in Outlook by changing the options, which I had been instructed by the program (PGP - which says that only certain versions of Outlook get along with it if Word is the email editor) to do, and my Office 2003 Pro upgrade DVD gives a Windows Installer error: This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

The Office DVD must be valid, or it wouldn't have installed the first time around, apart from the fact that I paid a fortune for it. Windows installer works with Windows updates. Maybe someone can suggest a remedy.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows installer (Office 2003 Pro)

Hi Peter:
    Does <!mskb=304498>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 304498<!/mskb> help at all?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows installer (Office 2003 Pro)

Thanks for the help. That KB Article didn't solve the problem, but another did: KB 295823, with the Windows Installer CleanUp utility. It means re-installing Office, but that isn't as drastic as it sounds (your settings are preserved) - in fact it was short and sweet given the amount of troubleshooting time that these things often take.