New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail delivery failure

I am using Windows 2000 with Outlook 2000 for e-mail (Internet Only Option). I have a lengthy list of contacts with whom I regularly exchange communications. Naturally, these contacts use numerous mail programs. My communication exchanges have been flawless with one exception.

One of my contacts recently signed on with MSN and is using their e-mail option. I received a message from them so I have their new address (Lets say xyz@msn.com). I have tried numerous times to get a reply to their change of address message and to send fresh new messages. I have also changed the message formate for each new attempt (i.e., plain text, HTML and RTF). I have not used encyption.

Each attempted message to "XYZ@MSN.COM" results in a automatically generated message from postmaster@msn.com indicating that my message to "XYZ@HOTMAIL.MSN.COM failed. An attachment includes the following lines of text:

Reporting-MTA: dns;cpimssmtpa.msn.com
    Received-From_MTA: dns;(my ISP is listed)
    Arrival-Date: (date and time is given)

Final-Recipient: rft822,XYZ@HOTMAIL.COM
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554.5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

My wife uses Juno and she is able to send and receive communications using the same contact address that I have (XYZ@MSN.COM)

What should I do to address this communication glitch? Is the problem at the other end?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail delivery failure

the old address was hotmail and the new one is msn? delete the *.nick file from your hard drive and try again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response to my posting. The contact in question had been a JUNO user for a short time but the account went inactive due to lact of use. Upon obtaining a new computer the contact subscribed to the a local MSN ISP for improved internet access. In other words, they had never used Hotmail.

I deleted the "*.nick" file (file size was 0) in the Outlook sub-folders under Documents and Settings. I have sent another message to the contact as a test. I have received the exact same "Delivery Failure" message from postmaster@msn.com. Any other ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the nick was only the problem if they used hotmail before or if you thought you were sending to msn and it was going to the old juno address

msn has been a mess since they switched msn addresses over to hotmail/http service.

the error message is hard to decipher. I'm wondering if it's a uuencode issue. what are your settings in tools > options > mail format? I recommend mime, none.

Thanks

> Body type not supported by Remote Host

This sounds like a configuration decision on the server end. I can't load this page (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wsd2d.com/wsD2D/Threads/Admin/>http://www.wsd2d.com/wsD2D/Threads/Admin/</A>), but it came up in a web search for this error.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to open the page. There is a posting dated March 21 asking for help with the same diagnostic code that I am getting back (smpt;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host) but the posting person is referring to MS Exchange. There is one response asking for more specifics but no reply from the originator.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am certain that this problem stems from the use of old JUNO or Hotmail addresses. Since starting this inquiry, I have attempted to reply to a message from a entirely different contact using MSN in another part of the country. I just got back the exact same delivery failure notice.

I'm not sure of the path you are suggesting to my settings. My Outlook settings in Tools | Internet Options | Advanced are the default values. I have absolutely no problems with any communications received from anyone. And I only receive delivery failure notices from postmaster@msn.com for my contacts who are now have MSN e-mail addresses.