3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Numbering return to normal style (Word2000)

How do I create a numbering style that when I press Enter the first time, the numbering is repeated, however when I press Enter the second time, the style reverts to normal style?

Kind regards
    Lynden

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbering return to normal style (Word2000)

We need a bit more information about how the numbering will look on each of the two lines. The approach will basically be

<UL><LI>Create a paragraph style called "First Number" set all of it's attributes except for numbering
    <LI>Create a paragraph style called "Second Number", set "Style for following paragraph" to "Normal"
    <LI>Modify style "First Number" and set "Style for following paragraph" to "Second Number"
    <LI>Create a paragraph (or more) of each style
    <LI>Select a "First Number" paragraph
    <LI>Tools > Bullets and Numbering
    <LI>Outline Numbered
    <LI>Select a gallery position and Customize...
    <LI>More...
    <LI>Give the list a name in the box marked "Listnum field list name", for example MyNumbers
    <LI>Link level 1 to style "First Number" and set the numbers to display the way you want
    <LI>Link level 2 to style "Second Number" and set the numbers to display the way you want[/list]If you need more help then give us some more information on exactly what your list should look like.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart

I have six levels of numbering each with its own style,
    Num1 (the style for the first level) has the first level outline numbering set. The second level, I link to style Num2 etc...
    All have the same Listnum field list name (Num123).
    What should happen is that when the user inserts the first level Num1 style giving him 1. xxxxx - all is ok. When he presses Enter, Num1 kicks in displaying 2. xxx.
    When the user pressses the Tab key, the Num2 style kicks in and the numbering becomes 1.1 xxxx.
    If the user does not want to continue numbering and he presses Enter again, the style should rever to Normal, not retain the numbering style.

Hope this description helps??

Regards
    Lynden

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Now that I understand your question I don't think I can help you solve this.

If you have a numbered list and you type ENTER twice at the end then you get a new paragraph with no number, but that still has the same paragraph style as the rest of the list.

You can change the "Style for following paragraph" for a particular style, but this will cause it to revert to that style after one ENTER.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mmmm. makes one think. The normal MS Word numbering works like that, but then it is not based on styles!
    Thanks for input.
    Regards
    Lynden