Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phantom floppy A: when opening a document. (Word97

Preamble: We all know (?) not to save or open from Floppy diskettes, and we all know to turn off Fast Saves. Well, I do, at any rate .....

Scenario: By agreement, a client sends me a Word document as an attachment. Eudora drops it into my c:attachments folder. I (Windows Explorer) drag a Copy to my client folder, mark it as Read-Only, and then and only then do I double-click to open it.

Surprise: To my surprise, I hear the floppy drive Shudder (there being no diskette within), and I say to myself "AhHa! Client has been editing the document on a floppy diskette (naughty-naughty!), and that's why the document has a "memory" of the floppy diskette.

But now I'm wondering what the heck is going on.

What IS it that is stored in the file RFP.DOC that causes Word to remember about floppies? Client is almost certainly not using Word97SR2 - I think I'm the only person in Canada still using it - so it's something that's probably common to many releases.

And WHERE is this residual memory being stored?

To add further mystery, you'll recall that I marked the RFP.DOC as read-only, so I saved it as RFPa.DOC, exited Word, and now both RFP and RFPa cause the floppy drive to shudder, even 'though the RFPa is now "my" document. There's definately something lurking within.

No, no VBA code, no spurious modules, just the traditional reference to Normal.dot.

Thanks

Re: Phantom floppy A: when opening a document. (Word97

If the attached template is not found, Normal.dot is substituted. Can you comb through the guts of the file and find any old template references?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Phantom floppy A: when opening a document. (Word97

Besides changing the the attached template to something you do have and then testing the file - what about checking links in the file? Is there embedded content (graphics, text, hyperlinks) that may have links to a: drive.

As a real long shot - is there anything listed under the custom properties tab in the File > Properties dialog?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Phantom floppy A: when opening a document. (Wo

> comb through the guts of the file

yes. To some extent.
    I've used Vernon Buerg's dear old List.com to both Find and eyball for "a:", "Normal" and can't see anything untoward. Have you any other suggestions?

This is not critical, but it is a lingering doubt.

FWIW I have since d/l "Avast" anti-vitus to complement my existing "Grisoft" anti-virus. Nothing exposed yet.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Phantom floppy A: when opening a document. (Wo

> Besides changing the the attached template

Bingo!

I have just re-re-re-checked and found that on re-opening the document, Tools, Templates reveals "A:GBC Course Outline-template.dot".

Ta-Da! I have a client who stores their templates on a floppy-diskette!

I suspect this might be a sales opportunity for training in MSWord .....