5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP7750 Plotter? (ExcelXP)

Made a little sheet & VBA-code years back that controlled (amongst others) an HP7550 plotter. I needed some boxes to be drawn (not much more). Reason to use a plotter was that dimensions of the box were essential and the HPGL allowed me to control this nicely...

Now we're years ahead and plotters are (sort of) out... how do I create -say- two squares on a printer (with some text in it) where the dimension of the square need to be exact (e.g. 3 inches).... Can I do something in Excel VBA?

Erik Jan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HP7750 Plotter? (ExcelXP)

Excel is not WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). Therefore, it is not a good tool for doing what you describe. For example, if I use the Excel drawing tool to draw a square on the screen, and then use Format Autoshape to set the size to exactly 3.00"x3.00", and then print the sheet I get a box that is 3 1/8" x 2 7/8". You would be better using a tool that is designed to do this. I use DeltaCad.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know WYSIWYG is not possible in most cases... the beauty was that by controlling a plotter it WAS (is) possible... because I was sending plotter-commands (HPGL) directly via a serial port.

Anyway... maybe I can sort of try to calibrate Excel... so make the autoshape such that the printed output is 3 x 3??

I'd need some coding to read user input, that's why I want e.g. Excel i.s.o. a drawing program....

Erik Jan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could experiment, but I don't know if you'll be successful - not only does Excel print graphic objects at a size different from what you specify on the worksheet, but it is very difficult to place them exactly where you want.

Create a square and specify its dimensions exactly. Measure the printed output accurately, and calculate multiplication factors for width and height:

Width factor = specified width / printed width
    Height factor = specified height / printed height

Next, create a rectangle, and multiply the desired width and height with the calculated factors. See if it prints at the desired size.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Windows now blocks sending control language directly to printers and plotters. I had to rewrite a program I wrote in C for Windows 3.0 when they made that change.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's solved... a bit... Creating a HPG-file and using a batch-file to copy the file to COM2: (where we still chose to keep the plotter connected in lieu of a better alternative - for now)

Thanks for the tips and hints...