Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form won't accept input (2002)

An employee who recently went on maternity leave was working on a new database which was supposedly ready for data entry. However, when anyone tries to type letters or numbers in various fields of the data entry form, it's as if they haven't touched any keys at all. She won't be back to work for three months so I have to try and figure out what she did (or didn't do) that's keeping the form from working properly. I'd be grateful for any suggestions about where I should check first.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form won't accept input (2002)

You may want to check the form properties in Design View, particularly the Data tab. She may have set it to not allow edits, additions or deletions. I assume that each field definitely corresponds back to a table (or other data entry place) and is not just a form field without a source?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is the entryForm under laid by a query, is there more than one table in which the entry information is going to.
    threecrow

Don't make excuses. It's what you do, not why you didn't.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies.

1) I checked the properties and all those things are allowed.

2)It looks like each field is defined in a table, but there are fields here from three different tables.

3)There is no query that the form is using. There are no queries defined period.

I was wondering if a query would be necessary since data is going to/coming from three different tables.

I still don't understand why access is acting as though I'm not hitting any keys though.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Post a zipped version of your database deleting any sensitive data first.
    We can then get a better idea of what is happening.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You *cannot* bind a form to 3 different tables unless you use a query as your data source. Or you can bind subforms to different tables and put those on your main form. Are you sure the controls are bound to fields and not just named after them?
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A query can be defined as an SQL string in the RecordSource property of the form, without the query being a saved query visible in the queries tab of the database window.

One possibility is that the query creates a non-updateable recordset. When you press a key and nothing happens, have you looked in the status bar (at the bottom of the Access window)? If the problem is a non-updateable query, you will see a message there.
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I had a long weekend and just got back to work today. I attached a zipped version of the file. After reading your comments so far I can see that the whole form needs to be redone and based on a query. Any other ideas/comments/suggestions would be welcomed. The baseline assessment form is the one I've been wrestling with.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since there is a one-to-many relationship between Farm-Grower Info and Grove Location, and also a one-to-many relationship between Grove Location and Block Info, you shouldn't try to fit everything into one form. You need a main form based on Farm-Grower Info, with a subform based on Grove Location. Each CPProfile can have several Grove Names. There should also be a subform based on Block Info. Each Grove Name can have several Block ID's.

I have put a form and two subforms in the database, without any attention to aesthetics - just to illustrate the basic idea.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans! That's exactly what I need the form to do.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I took what you did and modified it for aesthetics. Now I have another question. Next to the Scion code (CTEC) I want the scion Variety Name (Etrog Citron) to appear, but it puts a #Name? there instead. How can I get it to do what I want?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can create a query based on Block Info and Scion Variety List that includes all fields from Block Info, plus the Variety name from Scion Variety List. Use this query as record source for the Block Info subform; you can then set the control source of the text box to Variety name. See attached.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great. I got that to work but now I have another problem. When I try to enter info for a new Grower using the FarmGrowerInfo form, it throws an error message at me (Entry must be greater than 1000 - caused by the CGA RegNo field ). I made some changes and now I think it would be best if I import an existing list of growers and that the users select a grower from the list rather than enter new grower info here. This form should only be for entering data in the Grove Location and the Block Info tables The problem is that now the file is too big for me to attach it, so I can't show you what I'm trying to do. I don't know if I explained that properly, but I hope you know what I mean.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can set the Recordset Type property of the main form to Snapshot. This will "lock" the data in the main form, while leaving those in the subforms editable.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I got the file small enough to attach. I changed the property you were referring to, but it's not doing what I want it to do. I want the user to select the grower from the GrowerID combo box and then have it pull up any existing Grove and Block records or allow users to enter new grove and block info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast