2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Main Drive is F:\ (XP)

I had my new hard drive reimaged because the old one crashed. Unfortunately, the technician who did it for me forgot about the zip drive when he was loading XP, and it assigned the main drive letter to F: instead of C: (see Knowledge Base # 304776). It is not really that big of a deal, but now I am running into little quirky things that I don't like. For one thing, I like the folder icons in the Explorer folders list. In order to have them, your main drive must show as C: instead of F:. I found an article that told me I could do the subst c: f: cmd. This worked, but if you reboot, if does not save your settings.

I also had to rebuild my boot.ini file.

There has to be SOME way of reassigning the drive letter for the main drive without reloading Windows. Because of system problems because of a Norton install, and then a later hard drive crash, I have had my computer out of service for over a week at a time, and gone throught numerous reloads.

I need someone out there who knows of something that can be done to rectify some of these quirky things.

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Main Drive is F:\ (XP)

You could try using the Disk Management tool (Start - Run - diskmgmt.msc) to re-assign drive letters... just be careful!
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Mark is correct on reassigning the drive letter (no surprise there!), but you may need to search through the registry for instances of where it has assigned
    F:somepath
    instead of what now ought to be
    C:somepath
    and change the one to the other.

This could also happen in shortcuts, etc, if you've installed software while your main drive was in its F: status!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am locking this thread, see <post#=360080>post 360080</post#> for continuation

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.