2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DAO problem (2000 SR-1)

Hi,

I'm trying to get some code to run but having no luck. Here is the procedure:

Private Function Calculate_Bonus_for_All_Current_Records_Click()

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim db As DAO.DATABASE

Set db = CurrentDb
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("BonusTemp")

rs.MoveFirst

Do While Not rs.EOF

Call CalculateBonus_Click
    rs.MoveNext

Loop

rs.Close

End Function

The called procedure is defined as Public Function CalculateBonus_Click().

When I test the calling procedure from within the IDE, it just opens a Macros dialog box. When I test the calling procedure from the form button, I get an error message saying that "Procedure declaration does not match description of event of procedure having the same name." I'm not sure what's going on there since the Click event of the button says "[Event Procedure]" and the form button is titled Calculate_Bonus_for_All_Current_Records.

I tried adding the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object library through Tools > References, but that hasn't made a difference.

Thanks,
    Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DAO problem (2000 SR-1)

Event procedures are Subs not functions. That may be the problem.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DAO problem (2000 SR-1)

If the procedure Calculate_Bonus_for_All_Current_Records_Click() is an event procedure, it must be declared as a Sub, not Function. You can't define an event procedure as a function! Also, you cannot test a procedure in a class module (including form modules) in IDE by clicking Run Sub button or entering F5. As noted this will only open VBE "Macros" dialog. The class object name must be provided. To run a form's event procedure from IDE, enter something like this in Immediate window:

Form_frmListFiles.SelectAll_btn_Click

Note that if form not already open, running the command above will open form then execute the procedure (SelectAll_btn_Click, a command button Click procedure). Note also you must refer to form not by its name, but by the name under which it is listed in VBE Project Explorer "MS Access Class Objects" list, with the "Form_" prepended to form name. Also, this:

Set db = CurrentDb
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("BonusTemp")

should be changed to:

Set db = CurrentDb
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("BonusTemp")

I'd recommend using database object variable to open recordset, using CurrentDB directly may cause odd errors.

HTH