2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot keeps growing (2003)

Frequently, in OL2003 (using Word as email editor) when I close the application I will get a message that the normal.dot has been modified and would I like to save it. This happens w/o any changes in toolbars or styles (or anything else operator initiated). I always say no, at which time I am give the file dialog to save it under a different name; I cancel and every thing then shuts down.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks

Re: Normal.dot keeps growing (2003)

When you say everything shuts down, I assume you mean Word closes properly, not that it crashes. (If it crashes, that's probably a different problem.)

Something is changing Normal.dot. Add-ins that create their own toolbars often make changes to Normal.dot. You could test this theory by disabling your add-ins (for global templates, uncheck them or move them out of the Startup folders; for COM Add-ins, uncheck them after add-ins the COM Add-ins dialog).

Another thing that I think I have read here is that you can tick a box that causes any direct formatting change you make in a document to percolate back upstream to the template. This would not be a good thing! However, if you get the message even without applying any formatting, that probably is not the issue.

Not sure this helps, but it gives you a few things to work on. P.S. This is based on earlier versions of Word, and I don't know what new wrinkles have been added in Word 2003.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if the problem will stay with me or not. I had some other problems so I went back to an image of my drive prior to OL2k3 and then reinstalled everything. It is definitely better behaved now but then I'm not sure if it will come back. Time will tell.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If the problem persists, <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> contains a link to a support template for troubleshooting problems in Word 2003.