New Lounger
    Thanks

Switchboard Manipulation (Access 97 SR-2)

This is my first post.

A couple of years ago I was given the extra

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Switchboard Manipulation (Access 97 SR-2)

Hi Don,

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

If you really want to protect sensitive data, it is not enough to protect access to a switchboard page. Users would still be able to get access to the tables directly. You can control which tables, forms etc. a user may open by applying user-level security. Moderator [WendellB] has a short tutorial on his website: The Secrets of Security, with lots of useful links.

If you look at the On Click code behind the command buttons and labels on the Switchboard form, you will see that switching to another page (menu) is done by changing the filter of the form as follows:

Me.Filter = "[ItemNumber] = 0 AND [SwitchboardID]=" & rs![Argument]

where rs![Argument] is the number of the switchboard page. You can find out which number corresponds to which page by looking at the Switchboard Items table. The records for which the value of ItemNumber is 0 represent these pages; the name of the page is in the ItemText field, and the corresponding switchboard number is in the SwitchboardID field.

If you want to activate another switchboard page from another form, first look up the required number (SwitchboardID) in the Switchboard Items table. Then, use code like this to open switchboard page number 3:

Forms!Switchboard.Filter = "[ItemNumber] = 0 AND [SwitchboardID]=3"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Switchboard Manipulation (Access 97 SR-2)

Good afternoon Hans:
    Sorry it took so long to acknowledge and say thanks for your response. Started trying to "make it work" yesterday afternoon. No luck. Then again this morning. Until about an hour ago. Success. I had a problem with "semantics," I think. I was having a problem with all the things "labeled" Argument. Now I can get busy with moving a user from "point a" to a "point b" of my choosing in a number of places in the database. The solution really was very simple -- almost embarrassingly simple.

Your comments about controlling access to sensitive data are well-taken. A year ago -- one of those times I thought I was "almost done" -- I looked at what I would need to do to institute user-level security. Frankly, it "scared me" -- and I wasn't ready to have to spend time I didn't have to clean up a mess I made adding security. I went to WendellB's website this morning and printed the "Secrets of Security" -- it could be very helpful in getting me to user-level security, yet.

I have another question about another issue, but I will have to post it later.

Thanks again for the help, Hans

don