5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query property question (XP, 2000)

In a query, what is the difference between unique values and unique records? When would one be used vs. the other?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query property question (XP, 2000)

Unique Values means that duplicates will be filtered out based on the displayed columns. The result of Unique Values is more or less the same as that of a Totals query with Group By on all columns in the query. (Corresponds to SELECT DISTINCT in SQL)

Unique Records means that duplicates will be filtered out based on ALL columns in the underlying table, not only those that are displayed. The query may return records that do not look unique, if there are fields in the underlying table that distinguish the records. Can be used to make queries updatable. (Corresponds to SELECT DISTINCTROW in SQL)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query property question (XP, 2000)

Edited by HansV to correct link to post - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

Uh... okay. Thank you. I will try to digest that. I posed the question because I am trying to modify a <!post=report based on a double query,359564>report based on a double query<!/post>. This was working well (with your help) and then I realized my logic was wrong - that I had not considered all possibilites.