Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to create MDE database (Win2000 SP8)

I have developed a rather large Access application as an MDB file. I finally have it debugged to the point where I'm willing to create an MDE version to suppress access to the source VBA code. When I go to the Tools menu, Database Utilities, Make MDE file selection, all proceeds normally right up to the point where it asks the name and location for storing the MDE file. After allowing it to continue and create the file, I get one more popup box with the message "Microsoft Access was unable to create an MDE database", and an "OK" click-box.

There are no other indications of any problem, nor any visually reported reason for the failure to create the MDE file.

MDB file statistics: 3 small local tables, 20 forms, 7 subforms, 32 stored queries, 23 reports and 1 Global Code module. The startup form dynamically links to a remote MDE file with over 20 other tables. The compacted size of the MDB file is 5.2 MB.

Does anyone have a clue why the MDE generation is failing? Or how to determine why Access was unable to create the MDE database? I've never experienced this message in previous use of the menu command to create an MDE file, and I don't know where to even look for possible failure conditions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    -- Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to create MDE database (Win2000 SP8)

Can you compile the VBA code in the MDB database without errors (Tools | Compile <projectname> in the Visual Basic Editor)? (See <!mskb=283788>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 283788<!/mskb>)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

My Tools menu does not have a Compile selection. However, under my Tools | Options | General Tab, I have selected both "Compile on Demand" and "Background Compile".

The Debug menu, while in the VBA editor screen, does show a Compile <projectname>. When clicked, it did find one obscure syntax error on an event exit that has never been exercised!!

Well, end of story! I fixed that one little syntax error, complied successfully, and then retried the Make MDE. It worked....

Thanks, Hans. Once again, you have nailed it!

-- Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I meant Debug | Compile. I'm glad you found it yourself.