5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Track Changes to work (2000)

I need to revise a few Word documents which I have received via e-mail, and return them via e-mail. I assume I can turn on Track Changes and carry out my editing, and then return the documents for someone to review. I've never done this before and wanted to check if there were any problems or pitfalls I should avoid? I must ensure that the person reviewing will be able to see all my edits and accept/reject them. Any advice?! Andy.

Thanks

Re: Getting Track Changes to work (2000)

First, make a separate copy of the document. If you open the document directly from the message and edit it there, you could lose all your changes.

Second, when you save the document, make sure the changes are showing both in the display and in the print views. This should "stick" so that when the recipient opens the document she or he should see the changes.

As for other pitfalls, well, if the other person has Word 2002 and hasn't figured out how to deal with the balloons and other new features, it could be hard to have a phone call about the changes...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. Actually, I wanted to be a bit sneakier than I first stated. I want to edit the document with Track Changes on and return the document with them off. The idea being that, if the person decides that they need to see the specific changes made, I can instruct them to review the Track Changes. Does that make sense? Will Word still keep a log of the changes made even though I turn off the Track Changes? Andy.

Thanks

If you don't care who knows what changes you made, you can turn off both tracking and the viewing of tracked changes before you save the document. However, if the person ever passes it along, anyone who turns on the viewing of tracked changes will know what you did.

What you might prefer is to send just the changed version and if the person asks for a comparison, you can send that later.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

As someone who works with people not that familiar with Word, I would like to point out that you should hide your changes when you are absolutely certain that the recipient knows enough to work with them. If he's not familiar with Track Changes, he may wonder why the document acts in a funny way when he tries to delete something (basically, the cursor is after a tracked, hidden change but looks to be after a legitimate word; then the user can't delete that word).

And please, please, please remember to turn off Tracked Changes if you keep them hidden. Some of the biggest headaches I've received is when someone asks me to fix a document and I find out that hundreds of changes have been made with Track Changes on. Thus, the reason the document acted funny for the user.

I normally keep my Track Changes up front and don't assume that the recipient knows what to do. It may be insulting their intelligence, but people who understand Track Changes will likely appreciate where I'm coming from.

Kevin