3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing DLL, Can't reinstall

My boss still has Windows 98 on his computer and over the weekend, he purchased a Konica/Minolta laser printer.

I went in to install it for him today and when I went into the installation program, immediately received a message to the effect that MSVCRT.dll was either missing or corrupt - but it also said I did not have authority to replace it. I called the vendor who said the MSVCRT.dll file on the computers WIN 98 operating system is older than the one that comes on the printer disk. He told me to download a newer version and replace the one presently on the system.

So, I went to my computer and copied the MSVCRT.dll file (which was about 360k ) to a floppy. Went back to his computer and attempted to replace the file with the one on the floppy. I then received a message saying that Windows was using that file so I could not replace it (I'm assuming using it because Explorer was open, which I had to do to find the file).

So, now I think we're between a rock and a hard place - UNLESS.

Does anyone know if it's safe for me to go into DOS, go to Windows/System and copy the file from the floppy to Windows/System and be done with it? That's basically whan Konica tech support said to do, i.e., download a newer version and either write over the one now on the computer, or delete the one now on the computer and replace it with the download version.

Anyone's advise who has been there will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing DLL, Can't reinstall

Well, just to be on the safe side, I would boot into safe mode, rename the current file something like MSVCRTold.dll or something in case you run into problems, and then move the new file from the floppy.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing DLL, Can't reinstall

MSVCRT.DLL is the MicroSoft Visual C++ RunTime library. Many programs depend on it for routines (string comparisons, math functions etc), specifically, programs that were written in Visual C++. I for one never just slap a DLL in place. The reason? DLL's are registered with the operating system and come in different versions (welcome to DLL hell). It was in use not because Explorer was open, but because it is a component of the operating system.

A better bet would be to run the Windows System File Checker (Start - Run - SFC) and let it find any corrupt and missing files, and replace them from the original disk. If the printer came with software of its own, it may have tried to replace this DLL and failed, resulting in a corrupt copy on the hard drive.

If that fails, you can unregister the current version, replace it, and then re-register the new one after copying it to its new location. To unregister a DLL, enter regsvr32 {filename} -u from Start - Run. To register a new version, enter regsvr32 {filename} at the Start - Run prompt. But please, do not just copy a new DLL into place, because you could break a lot more than you fix by doing so. As a last ditch resort, re-run Windows 98 setup, which will check and repair any damaged or missing files.

HTH,
    -Mark