Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    West Long Branch, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,921
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    MM Header Source (2000+)

    All interested in Mergers:

    I've always run mail merges with a data source that included a header row. I knew there was a capability to have a separate header row than the data but never tried it...until today.

    In Word 2000, it "seems" pretty straightforward. The help suggests that you need to first choose your data source and then your header source. I did a simple test:
    - created an Excel file with 2 records in rows 1-2 with just a first name and last name; named the ranged "mmnames" (2 rows by 2 cols)
    - created an Excel file with 1 header record in row 1 with "first" and "last"; named the ranged "headerrow" (1 row by 2 cols)
    - went to the MM wizard, created my main doc and id'd my sources. Here's where it gets interesting.

    When id'g the header source, the MM wizard did not seem to pick up the range name. If I picked a sheet in the first drop down (as opposed to entire workbook), it would not recognize the name I typed nor list it as a choice. If I picked the entire workbook in the first drop down, the 2nd drop down was grayed out. Well, not the end of the world since it seemed to pick up the header row - I could now fill in MM fields based on the values in that "headerrow". That is, Word recognized "first" and "last".

    But when I went to do the merge, Word ignored my first record in the data source. I added a 3rd row, renamed the range, and repeated the above on the header row. It still ignores my first record. Should the first row of my Excel data source have been left blank? While this seems like it must be the answer, it almost seems contrary to the idea of creating a separate header source.

    In Word XP, it seems worse. While Help admits to being able to use a separate header source, I couldn't find any way to identify it.

    HELP!

    TIA

    Fred

  2. #2
    Uranium Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles Area, California, USA
    Posts
    7,453
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: MM Header Source (2000+)

    Hi Fred:
    I don't have an answer as I've always used a header row. However, what happens if you use the "Select" method when doing your mail merge. i.e. when you open your data source, click the Select button, & try the different options. Does it make a difference?

    Added:
    Does <!mskb=212104>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 212104<!/mskb> help at all?

  3. #3
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    West Long Branch, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,921
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: MM Header Source (2000+)

    Hi Phil,

    Somehow I knew you'd have a suggestion. But it didn't help on Word XP. To rehash the XP situation:
    - there's no obvious way how to specify the file for the header row
    - I looked at the MS article (which pertains to 2K). Not sure symptoms are the same, especially for XP. But I tried all 4 linking methods to the Excel "environment": OLE DB, Excel WS Converter, DDE, ODBC. In the 1st 2, there was a check box saying that source has header and I unchecked it; this was during the process of linking the main doc to the source. But I was never asked for the header file; MM used the 1st record of my source, even tho I unchecked the box, as my fields. In the 3rd and 4th methods, I didn't even see a checkbox to uncheck and the result was the same - my first data record served as the field names.

    Seems like a bug.

    On 2K, results are:
    - only have 3 methods for linking. Results are:
    --- Excel WS Converter: seemed to work ok (got "header" as first data source until after adding header; then got correct header fields and both records merged)
    --- DDE: got fields from header row but only got 1 record (of 2) merged. This is the method the MSKB suggested as a workaround
    --- ODBC: got fields from header row but got no merged records - matches MSKB problem.

    I seem to recall another post within the past 1-2 weeks where the answer was to use a particular linking method as opposed to another one. Forgot the problem but I don't think it was related.

    Fred

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •